A plant-based diet are vegetables, fruits, berries and other fruits, which nowadays is quite easy to get at any time of the year. Someone manages a range of supermarkets or close to home markets, and someone important to ascertain the presence of organic certificates and to find “their” producers and suppliers. But all vegetable products undergo different types of processing, both during cultivation and during implementation. How these procedures affect a person and how to protect themselves from possible harm?
A large part of the fruits that you can find at any good market or a large supermarket, is divided into 3 categories:
· Remnants from the last harvest
· Imported products are
· Plants grown in the greenhouse
Each group has its pros and cons, but equally interesting to buyers in different seasons of the year. Of course, each vendor touts their products, ensuring that it vegetables or fruit an all natural, rich in micronutrients and grown in suitable conditions. But it’s easy to remember how striking conscious buyers, for example, a ripe red strawberry in the middle of winter, kind of selected farmers berry to berry, beautiful and the same size, but, alas, rarely having even remotely familiar taste and aroma. How to grow these fruits and is it dangerous to eat it? We will understand more.
The emphasis on acceleration
According to the expert-analytical center of agribusiness, in 2017 the share of imports of the main types of fruit in Russia increased by 12.9 thousand tons in comparison with the 2016 year, in other words, brought from abroad of vegetable products amounted to about 70% of assortment of shops. For anybody not a secret that most of these goods imports is sent to the implementation in the unripe state and brought to “condition” in Russia. What methods are used to speed up the aging process and preserve the freshness of some types of fruits and vegetables?
1. Heated in the gas chamber.
So that green bananas made up the usual for the Russians state, they must survive in a gas chamber at +18 degrees Celsius, affecting them with a mixture of ethylene and nitrogen. The period of ripening in these conditions is 6 days, then berry (namely it, from the point of view of botany, and bananas) acquires a bright yellow rind and the flesh becomes sweet and tender. However, the volume of imports, as we see the statistics, not allow suppliers to keep the fruits in the camera more than 10, 12 hours. Thus, in most stores, we see plantains, ripened in artificial conditions due to the increased volume of gas, which often makes them tasteless.
If we talk about the impact of such food on the human body, to be called to end harmful will not work – the mixture of ethylene and nitrogen is an alternative to solar radiation without changing the chemical composition of the product. But in artificial conditions does such fruit, and healthy, depriving them of all reserves so necessary to man vitamins because they can be formed in the fruit just under the influence of natural sunlight. And does it make sense to use rich in calories but poor in micronutrients composition of the product?
2. Spraying fruits with special chemical compounds.
You’ve probably noticed that some varieties, for example, apples can be found for sale in any season of the year, and their appearance will be perfect. To achieve this effect, manufacturers use so-called “Botox Apple” – E230 Supplement called diphenyl. This substance is distilled from fossil fuels such as oil. By the way, they treated not only apples, but also pears, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini and many other fruits. Diphenyl inhibits the growth of fungi and bacteria on the surface of fruits and vegetables, prevents rotting, so that they remain clean and appetizing.
But as with any substance, obtained by chemical means, E230 contains toxins hazardous to human health, so the additive already banned in several EU countries and in the United States. Thus, biphenyl may be a provocateur growth of malignant tumors, cause nervous exhaustion, increase the frequency of epileptic seizures and so on. To protect yourself, it is important to organize a thorough rinsing fruits and vegetables before eating them with a special solution, the recipe of which we give at the end of the article.
Life hack from VEGETARIAN
To check whether you have purchased processed fruit E230, hold it under running hot water for about 20-30 seconds and look closely at the surface. If the skin appeared oily film, fruit or vegetable was covered with a layer of diphenyl!
3. The sputtering gas of the fungicide on the entire plant products.
To ensure the long preservation of the plants in the warehouse, where they can wait for send window-shopping for months, they were treated with a fungicide – gaseous substance, overwhelming the processes of decay and kill the mold.
Fungicide is harmless to human, because it disappears immediately after removal of fruits on the counter.
4. The use of nitrates and pesticides in farming.
In almost all developed countries of the world such chemicals as nitrates and pesticides are widely used in spraying growing of fruit trees and shrubs. They are safe to humans if used in the right proportions, and can accelerate the aging of fruits, berries and vegetables, and to prevent the emergence of pests on them.
Unfortunately, as more and more farmers and entire podesavati independently increase the dose of chemicals in order to harvest faster and in large quantities – this product is not useful and can lead to various health problems. There are several ways to check for excess nitrates and other chemicals in a particular fruit:
· Try to break them on a vertical surface – wall or glass – if the fruit or vegetable after a stroke will be saved on all sides, it should not be eaten if will crack, it is harmless. Method is not for everyone, but one of the most effective!
· Use a special device – nitrate, which is a special indicator of nitrate, showing safe and dangerous values. The probe, which is equipped with any such tester, pierce the surface of the berry, fruit or vegetable, click and hold the tool motionless not more than 5 seconds. Data obtained during this rapid research, according to statistics, can be trusted in the majority of cases.
· Cut into the surface of the fruit – if there are white streaks or light areas in the pulp, use it in food is not worth it.
· Pay attention to skin color – for example, cucumber is not treated with chemicals, the skin color is always bright green, and soft bumps. But the choice of carrots or potatoes, it is important to focus on the lack of green or yellow spots on the surface.
How to protect yourself?
First, we should not trust the labels offered by the store or retailer on their part. If there is any doubt in the genuineness of the vegetables, fruits or berries that you see on display, you may request the certificate directly from the manufacturer.
Second, before use, you should soak some plants in a special solution of the simple tools:
1. Apples, pears, potatoes, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, watermelons, radish, zucchini and other fruits with a tough peel can be cleaned from the top layer of chemistry simple ingredients: 1 tbsp soda and 1 tbsp of lemon juice mixed with a glass of water and poured in a bottle of spray. The solution splashes on the plants, and after 5 minutes wash under running water. The tool can be stored in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
2. Bundles of herbs can be released from the nitrates by simple soaking for 10-20 minutes in a solution of warm water with 1 teaspoon of salt. After that, the greens should just be washed under running water.
3. To save the fruit from traces definie (E230), paraffin, is it better to cut off the skin before use.
4. Strawberries, wild strawberries, raspberries cleansed of harmful chemicals in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, if you put them there for no more than 3-4 minutes.
5. If you do not want to do solutions, any fruit can be dipped in a bowl of cool water for 3-4 hours, replacing the liquid in the tank every 40-50 minutes. After the procedure, all the products are washed again under running cool or warm water.